Learn how to buy fabric, wallpaper and Home decor through the Spoonflower Marketplace.
Learn about the products, services and programs available through the Spoonflower Marketplace for artists, interior designers, customers and sewists
Learn design file basics and how to effectively upload your artwork into the artist Marketplace interface.
A collection of articles where Marketplace artists will learn about the details of selling to customers through our interface and what to expect from Spoonflower.
Entering a Design Challenge
Once you've created and saved your design, and confirmed you work still aligns with the Terms and Conditions links for the them linked through the Design Challenge page, follow these steps.
- Sign into your account, or create an account if you don't already have one
- Upload your design
- Adjust your entry on the design layout page and click Save Changes
Click the Enter a Challenge button on the left
Select the correct Design Challenge from the dropdown menu under What challenge do you want to enter?
Review the voting preview image to make sure your design displays properly
Confirm your design fits the prompt by clicking Yes and adding a thoughtful title and description
Happy? Click Submit Entry
Not quite perfect? Click Edit Design Thumbnail or Cancel and return to design library to adjust and re-save the settings and review the design until you are happy
After you submit your entry, your design will automatically be saved to public so it can be seen during voting. If you mark your design as private after entering it, your design will be removed from being seen in the challenge
Artists often write asking to confirm their design is entered. To confirm your design is entered:
- Hover over your profile icon in the top left
- Click My Design Challenges from the dropdown menu
- On the My Design Challenges page you will see the challenges you’ve entered, votes you’ve received and top ten wins
You are free to make changes to your design before the published contest entry window closes. Simply follow the steps found in Revising Your Design.
However, please refrain from editing your design after the submission deadline has passed. These changes will not be reflected in your entry and may impact the accuracy of how the design is represented in your Design Library and on the voting page.
To withdraw your design from the design challenge please take one of the following actions:
- Withdraw the entry
Navigate to the My Design Challenges page
Hover over your profile icon in the top left
Click My Design Challenges from the dropdown menu
Click Withdraw under the design that you wish to withdraw
- Remove the design from the public gallery
- Scroll to the Marketing and Selling section on the design layout page
- Remove the check that includes the design in your public gallery
Promotions and Discounts
If you are signed up to receive our weekly newsletter, you know that there are often great promotions at Spoonflower. Not only do we offer periodic discounts on merchandise, but we sometimes also offer shipping discounts as well. This article goes over the different sales in the Spoonflower Marketplace, and what to look out for as you shop. The current sale is always promoted along the banner at the top of our site, with more details published in the promotional fine print!
A sale or promotion made available for all customers at Spoonflower for a certain period of time. Sitewide Promotions are automatically applied to all eligible items and do not require a promo code. These promotions are typically for:
- Merchandise: All goods sold by Spoonflower are considered merchandise. Merchandise included in a promotion may vary. Such promotions may be for all Fabrics, speciality Fabric(s), Wallpaper, Home Decor, Fat Quarters, Buy Now/Save Later, Buy More/Save More, etc...
- Shipping: This covers the charges incurred to ship the order. Free Standard (Worldwide) Shipping is the most common promotion.
A special, one-time-use discount code that the customer applies to the order while checking out. Promo codes often arrive:
- in email, or with our newsletter,
- through a postcard mailer,
- as a pop-up menu on our site.
You must save any site generated promo code. It will not be automatically added to your shopping cart.
Everyday Designer Discount (EDD)
Artists receive 10% off any fabric, wallpaper or home decor item with their own design, excluding Test Swatches and Swatch Samplers. For Fill-A-Yard® orders the 10% arrives as a commissions in Spoondollars. For more detailed information review Designer Discounts, Spoonflower PRO, and Trade Program.
Only one discount can be applied per order with the exception of:
- The Everyday Designer Discount will always be applied when applicable and an additional discount can typically be applied on top of it.
- Trade pricing can be applied in addition to other discounts on other items in the cart.
- Pro shipping discounts can be applied in addition to other discounts on an order.
Note: Specific terms and conditions will apply for each Sitewide Promotion and Promo Code that may differ from the information covered in this article. These terms and conditions will always be included with promotional emails and found on our site, serve as authority for our Promotions, and take precedence over any details found on this page.
Applying a Promo Code
- Click the shopping cart icon in the upper right-hand corner of any page to view the cart.
From there, you’ll see your items on the left and a pricing summary on the right. On the right, click on + Add Coupon Code to reveal the promo code box.
- Enter your code into this field and click Apply. A brief description of the promotion will appear and the total will be updated as applicable. If the code is invalid or not applicable to your order, you will see the phrase “Please enter a valid code.”
Removing a Promo Code
Click on the “Reset” button next to the promo code box to remove it. The pricing will immediately update. The code will remain active until it is used or expires.
Interior Designers may apply to be a part of our Trade Program for:
- Free Swatches
- Trade Discounts
- Dedicated Customer Support
This application takes around 5 minutes and helps us learn about your business and if the program is right for you. You must include one of the following:
- a link to your website (preferred)
- a digital portfolio showing your work
- a social media handle with current images
as well as one of these qualifying documents:
- a business card with the included design profession
- a business license,
- a professional trade association membership card
- ID.me discounts can be combined with the Everyday Designer Discount
- ID.me will always apply before any sitewide discounts and cannot stack
- ID.me will always apply before a promo code discount and cannot stack
This discount is currently only available to Spoonflower customers within the United States of America.
▶ How can I see when your current Sitewide promotion will expire?
The fine print for the current promotion is always up to date here.
▶ I received a Promo Code for signing up but the discount is not in my cart. Where is it?
The Promo Code is not be automatically added to your shopping cart. You must add the code when you are ready to place your order. For more information for the steps to do so, please go here.
▶ I added my Promo Code but it says my order doesn't qualify?
There may be a few of reasons for this:
- Be sure your Promo Code qualifies under the fine print of the promotion
- You may need to be logged into your account
- You already used the code
- You already used another promo code from the same promotion.
If none of these conditions apply, feel free to reach out to us for assistance.
▶ I forgot to add my Promo Code to my order. Can I apply it now?
Unfortunately, we can't retroactively apply a Promo Code to any order once it has been placed. You can certainly still use the Promo Code towards any new order instead as long as it is valid. For more information about applying this to an order in the future, look here.
▶ I'm a PRO member but my swatches aren't listed at half-priced swatches in my cart. Why?
If the half-price swatches aren't listed in your cart, make sure you are logged into your account.
▶ Do you have an Interior Designer discount?
Yes. Learn more about our Trade Program.
▶ I already have an ID.me account but it is asking me to create a new one. What should I do?
If you already have an account with ID.me, sign into it before placing your order. Then, once you click the "ID.me" link through Spoonflower, it should link automatically into your account. Please contact us if something continues to happen otherwise.
▶Why am I not getting a discount through ID.me with my order?
It is possible that your specific vocational identity was not selected for this discount with ID.me and Spoonflower. Check here for more information.
See also: Shipping Rates and Delivery Options
See also: Order Status and History
See also: How long will it take to get my order?
Welcome to Spoonflower: The Print-on-Demand Difference
There are a few key variables that customers take for granted when shopping for fabric in person. If this is your first time buying fabric, this small but mighty article explains how Spoonflower works, what to pay attention to before ordering, and what to do when your order arrives.
- Printing Methods
- Print Resolution
- Design Layout for Printing
- Continuous Fabric Lengths
- Color Representation
Spoonflower's unique print-on-demand strategy opens up new possibilities for creating, sewing and designing that are not available at a store. Our process allows us to:
- keep millions of designs in our Marketplace
- print any design on any fabric or wallpaper type
- honor our commitment to sustainability
A lot of fabric is dyed, but dyeing creates waste that is bad for the environment. Spoonflower prints fabric, instead, and creates very little by-product. We employ these two methods:
- Digital printing for natural fabrics and wallpapers
- Sublimation for polyester fabrics
Digital Printing on Natural Fabrics and Wallpaper
Spoonflower creates thousands of colors while printing directly onto natural fiber fabrics or wallpapers. Colors are:
- determined and saved by the artist
- converted to sRGB when uploaded to our site
- printed by mixing various inks
While every printer has established settings, there may be slight color variation from one order to the next. We call each order a print-lot, and similar to dye-lots, it is best to order enough fabric in your initial order to be certain colors match.
Sublimation Method on Polyester Fabrics
For our sublimation process, your design is printed onto a special transfer paper that is then overlaid onto the polyester fabric. With the application of pressure and heat, the ink of the design sublimates into a gas that penetrates and bonds into the fabric. This often translates to longer color fastness and impressive color representation
Due to this two-step process, polyester fabrics can print no longer than 8 yards/meters. As mentioned with the digital printing method, each order is an individual print-lot. Order enough fabric in your first order to ensure color consistency.
Because we are printing on fabric rather than paper, the weave of fibers may influence the resolution of small-scale designs, as well as patterns with significant details or thin lines.
Spoonflower prints all designs from the bottom left corner of the fabric or wallpaper.
Keep in mind:
- We do not resize the design to fit a certain width or height of fabric. This means wider fabrics will have more repeats across the width of the design. Review the basic characteristics of all our products in Fabric Specifications and Details.
- We print each piece individually. This means if you order three one-yard pieces of the same design, they will print as three identical pieces. In other words, your fabric is NOT cut from a pre-printed roll, nor is it printed as three full yards and cut down.
- As a pattern prints from left to right, the design repeat is based upon the settings saved by the artist.
If your personal design measures more than one yard (36") in height, you will need to increase the continuous yardage/meterage to receive the complete image.
When ordering a Marketplace design, what you see in the image preview window matches the scale and visual layout. Review Visualizing Size and Scale of Marketplace Designs for the basics.
We do not print partial yards/meters of your fabric. If you need more than one yard/meter of a design, you will only be able to order in whole yare/meter increments.
HACK: If you only need partial-yard increments of a certain design, our Fill-A-Yard® product may be for you. You will still need to order either one or two yards of total fabric (not available in metric sizes), but you may select and lay out your designs however you wish. Review the Fill-A-Yard® Guide to learn exactly how to create this unique product.
The exact color settings of your monitor will likely not match the printer settings that produce your order and small color shifts are to be expected. This is why we always recommend ordering Test Swatches before placing any larger order.
Consider the following:
- Our printing method works better with designs using variations of colors throughout
- Darker, heavily saturated fields of color printing in larger blocks can sometimes arrive with a slightly muted tone, especially on natural fibers
- While all base fabrics begin as white, the base color as well as the weave and texture of the fabric may mean there is a slight color shift from one fabric type to the next for any identical design. Review the image below to see a sampling of how colors show up differently on different fabrics.
- Complex color tones, such as gray and tan, are a mix of many individual colors and are more likely to vary across multiple print jobs due to environmental factors
- Larger areas of blue may sometimes present as slightly purple on natural fibers
- Natural fabrics printed with darker color tones, and colors requiring a significant mix of pigments, may feel stiffer to the touch upon delivery. This is because more ink must be printed and heat set onto the fabric to capture the design effectively. Over time, after additional washings, your fabric will soften significantly as the fibers relax and the inks become more pliable.
Additional Articles about Spoonflower Products and Printing
Regardless of the length you order, each roll of wallpaper will begin printing the pattern from the bottom of the roll. This means that when you order the same length roll of the same design, from 3' to 27' (100 cm to 1000 cm), each roll will print and arrive identically.
Therefore, we do not recommend ordering rolls of varying lengths when walls are different heights because it is likely that the design along the top edge of the varying rolls will not align. Instead, we recommend using the tallest height when ordering, as the rolls will need to be the same length to ensure seamless installation.
When looking at a Marketplace design on your screen, the selvages run vertically, along the left and right edges of the image preview window. If the image of fabric continued, it would run down your monitor or phone.
Because every monitor has different display settings, knowing exactly how a color will print is impossible. While two Marketplace designs may seem to be in the same colorway, the two printed designs may be different because:
- fabric weave influences how light reflects color
- fabric content and thread thickness can effect how colors print
- the white point of the base fabric impacts color representation
- the printing process yields different color results
Since color is an important part of any project, we always recommend ordering and reviewing Test Swatches before any large purchase. This will allow you to color match, find matching treatments, and be certain the weight and finish of the fabric is right for your needs.
Review Finding Coordinating Designs and Fabrics for ways to search more creatively for matching designs in our Marketplace.
Because Spoonflower prints-on-demand, each individual order is its very own print-lot. Large color shifts should not be an issue, but two orders printed different times may have slight variations. Just like when buying commercial fabric or yarn or wallpapers with dye-lots, it is always ideal to order enough digitally printed paper to complete your project all at once.
Additional Articles about Ordering
Washing your fabric prior to use in important for two main reasons:
- Help the fibers relax back into natural shape after being printed
- Address any potential for shrinkage
Because we are printing your order and not cutting it from a bolt, your fabric may shrink during the printing process and on its first wash. Review Fabric Specifications and Details for fair shrinkage estimate and consult Caring for Your Spoonflower Products for more about washing fabrics.
Additional Articles About Care and Fabric Use
Get inspired and find the right fabric for your next DIY with some of our favorite woven and knit substrates.
Our live chat hours:
9:00 am - 5:00 pm ET Monday to Friday! Click help in the bottom corner to start a chat!
Get the latest news and updates first!