Once you upload your design to Spoonflower, you can choose to either center it or use our software to create a repeat. A basic repeat just creates tiles of your design straight up and down, while a half-drop or half-brick repeat staggers the tiles vertically or horizontally. The mirror repeat does just that, mirroring the design both vertically and horizontally.
The preview allows you to toggle back and forth between the layout options in real time, so if you're having a hard time picturing what these look like, don't worry. Try it out on any image and just play around.
Sometimes you may find certain repeats blocked from use when ordering wallpaper. Designs on wallpaper must repeat once or an even number of times across the 24 inch width of the roll to ensure each roll aligns properly with the next. By making your design smaller (just click the "smaller" button once), the other repeats will become available to you again.
- Basic Repeat: We will tile your design from the lower left corner up and to the right to fill the available space of your order. If you upload an image larger than the area then we will crop it back towards the lower left corner (e.g. the top and/or right sides will be cropped). The design will not be stretched or changed in its dimensions. The preview will clearly illustrate the repeat. If you are ordering a swatch sized piece for a large design, you might consider reducing the size of the design to fit into the swatch.
- Half-Drop Repeat: This is like the basic repeat, except the design is repeated with a half-step vertically as you move to the right. Again, the preview will illustrate this.
- Half-Brick Repeat: This is also a staggered repeat, but the design shifts half-step horizontally to the right as you move upwards... like bricks, hence the name.
- Centered:Your design can be centered on fabric or gift wrap. We will not alter the size or dimensions of the design. If the size of the design does not match the size of product, the space around the edge of the design will be left unprinted.
- Mirror Repeat: This layout tool creates designs without obvious seams by mirroring your original design so that it folds out into four sections with every edge pixel identical to its immediate neighbor. Try it out on photographs and scanned designs that have irregular edges that will not repeat smoothly and may otherwise give you obvious tiling effect.