Due to the delicacy and unique characteristics of this wallpaper, we highly recommend hiring a wallpaper professional for your project with experience installing Grasscloth.
Because this is a natural product, differences in color and texture between sampled orders and finished goods are common due to variations of the sisal fibers. Do not install in rooms with high humidity or moisture.
Please share the following instructions with your professional installer.
Wall Surface for Installation
- Remove any existing wallpaper
- Never hang grasscloth wallpaper over
- new plaster or unprimed wall areas
- glossy or nonporous places;
- stains, or on walls with a deep/dark color
- Repair cracks and holes with an oil free filling, sanding surface after
- For wallboard, ply or drywall, fill all cracks and prepare the surface with an acrylic base coat
- Wall should be firm and uniformly colored
- Glossy paint should be dulled with sandpaper
- Ensure installation surface is clean, smooth, dry and free from dust
- Wash painted walls with Tri Sodium Phosphate to remove grease or soil
- Ideally, wall surface should be sized - sealed and allowed to dry
Preparing Wallpaper Panels
Begin with a clean work area. Work in good natural light and make sure all central heating is turned off.
- Measure and cut panel lengths from your first roll:
- Be certain to consider and match design repeats before cutting.
- Add 2” to 4” (5 to 10 cm) to both top and bottom of each strip.
- Hang three strips at a time, making sure you are happy before proceeding.
- Be ready to overlap each panel by ~0.5" (1 cm) to match the pattern
Based on installer preference/experience, apply adhesive to the wall OR the substrate.
Using a ready-mixed clear adhesive, follow instructions of the adhesive manufacturer and do not use too much, approximately 7 ounces per square yard (200 grams per square meter) will suffice. Based on installer preference and experience, adhesive may be applied to either the substrate, as discussed below, or the wall:
- Spread adhesive evenly over the entire paper backing to ensure good adhesion and to avoid open seams across panels.
- May add primer to the wall at this time, as desired.
- When adhesive is applied to the back of the paper, booking time is only 2-5 minutes.
- Install paper, using the overlap of the design to help align each panel.
- Double cut the small edges of overlap to finish.
- Excessive adhesive and prolonged soaking may cause seam tearing.
- Avoid getting adhesive on the surface of the wallcovering at risk of staining.
- Outside corners: aligning seams at an outside corners may lead to peeling over time. It is better to bend stiff grasscloth around outside corners with the proper, professional tools.
- Avoid excessive wiping during installation.
Maintenance & Cleaning
Grasscloth is very delicate and will absorb odors from the environment
- Clean with a dry-cleaning sponge or towel
- Surface may be feather dusted or vacuumed with a clean vacuum cleaner brush
- For minor spot cleaning, use only the foam from a clear, uncolored liquid detergent, being certain to test on an inconspicuous spot of the paper first