With over one millions designs in the Spoonflower Marketplace, it can be a challenge to find the perfect design. Since dropping a couple words into the search box is just the beginning, learn how to use filters for better search results.
Searching by Categories or Color
Search Returns and Collections
Starting a Search
The search bar can be found along the top of most pages of our site.
As you enter search terms into this field, a drop down automatically appears to help you zero in on the products you want. Choose from:
- Living & Decor
- Artists (when you know the artist screenname)
- Collections (for curated themes by community members
PRO TIP: Check out Spoonflower's curated themes for another quick way to refine your search goals.
Search Term Basics
Our engine searches using the words you type against titles, descriptions and tags entered by the artist. The system is not case sensitive (and it still isn't quite as savvy as google.)
- A search for a single word, blue, will display all designs with blue in the title, description, or tag. This will return a lot of designs!
- A search for two or more words like blue china will typically display designs containing both words in their saved descriptions first. Once all those have been shown, designs that only contain either word individually will appear. This still will likely return over 100 pages, and the results may be influenced by default filters such as "best selling".
NOTE: Any unrelated designs are likely due to incorrect tagging. Our results rely upon the information entered by artists and third-party sellers.
Filtering Search Results
After your initial search, you likely will still see hundreds, even thousands or designs. Adjusting the Sort By feature and specific filters will you narrow down to more relevant products.
Along the right side of the page above the results, there is a drop down for organizing the returns.
- ‘Best Selling’ is our default filter and shows the most popular designs from the past 6 months first.
- ‘Most Relevant’ shows the most relevant designs to your search terms first. (PRO TIP: If you are looking for a very specific design with many tags, this is the filter for you!)
- ‘Most Favorited’ emphasizes designs that have been favorited by the most community members, and then shares returns include less popular designs with the same tags.
- ‘Trending’ are newer designs, with those proving to be increasingly popular over the past 7 days returned first.
- ‘Newest’ are just that, the newest designs on Spoonflower!
Our filters are intuitive. For example, filtering by "Nature" will include tags and terms within the category of nature. If you search by "gray", returns will include "grey". As you add filters, they will list across the top of the search page, but can always be removed by clicking the "x" next to the filter.
- Products - allows you to see designs available on fabric, wallpaper, or home decor specifically, as some artists choose to specialize their designs
- Topic - allows you to search for designs within any of seven design topics, and additional sub-topics. You can only filter by one topic, or sub-topic at a time
- Style - allows you to search for designs within any of nine design styles, and additional sub-styles. You can only filter by one style, or sub-style at a time
- Colors - allows you to see designs with specific colors within your search parameters IMPORTANT: Our system does not scan designs for colors automatically; color filters must be tagged by the artist. You may select multiple color filters
- Availability - allows you to toggle between designs for sale in the Marketplace, and all designs. including those that haven't been made for sale yet
- Adult Content - allows you to decide to see all designs - allowed - or to exclude potentially mature designs - blocked. More below.
Spoonflower is used by a wide variety of people from all around the world, and while we do not censor or limit the work of others, some designs may not suit the tastes of all people. Therefore, you may want to block adult content to only see designs that have been moderated.
NOTE: The Spoonflower Marketplace is always changing and new designs are uploaded daily. While we endeavor to filter adult designs weekly, sometimes some patterns get ahead of us. Please accept our apologies if this happens. We are working to always improve our systems.
Please review our Terms of Service for more about moderation and design management.
Searching by Category or by Color
If entering search terms isn't how you visualize and seek out designs, use the Categories and Color drop down from the fabric tab along the top of the Spoonflower site. As you hover over 'Fabric' and then 'By Categories' or 'By Colors' a series of options will appear that allow you to refine to specific results.
Search Returns and Collections
As you find designs that you like it can be easy to click around and lose some of your favorites. This is why we recommend favoriting designs by clicking the heart icon, or by saving them into any of your personal collections. You must have an account and be signed in to make this happen. Learn more about these helpful site tools in the article Collections Overview.