All you’ll need to get started is a Spoonflower account and a digital file of whatever you’d like to print.
If you don’t yet have digital file, you’ll want to scan the recipe or photo you’re using. It’s best to do this at the highest resolution your scanner has (it might say ‘best’, ‘high’, or ‘photo’ resolution). If it has options for dpi, choose a number that is 600+). Make it nice and big--you can always make it smaller, but it’s not possible to add information and make it larger.
- Once you’re signed into your account and have scanned your image (or have another digital file you’d like to use), click on CREATE at the top of the Spoonflower home page.
- On that page, select Linen Fat Quarter. This will give you a 18 x 27 inch fat quarter, sized perfectly to fill a quarter-yard of Linen Cotton Canvas.
- That button will take you to PicMonkey, an image editing and design site that we have a partnership with. When the window opens, you may see a window that asks you about your image size setting. Make sure King Kong is selected.
- If you don’t see that window, click on the icon that looks like a gear at the top of the page, and select King Kong.
- Now you’re ready to create! If you want to add a background color for your tea towel, click the Canvas Color button on the right-hand side, and choose a color you like.
- Once you’ve picked a background color, you’re ready to add your image. Click the Overlays icon (that looks like a butterfly), and then select Your Own at the top of the page.
- Navigate to your file, and place it where you want it. Keep in mind that what you’re seeing is a quarter-yard--it’s big! If you stretch your image out and it looks pixelated, reduce the size until it’s sharp and crisp. If you can’t make it big enough, you’ll want to scan it again at a higher quality.
- In the lower right-hand corner is a Zoom function--you can zoom to 100% to check your image quality. If you want to add text or other elements, you can do that now. To add text, click the Text button, it looks like two T’s.
- Once you’re ready to save it, click the Save button at the top of the page. It may take a moment--don’t worry! It will save your image and take you back to Spoonflower. If you want just one tea towel, select Fat Quarter and LinenCotton Canvas. If you’d like 4 tea towels, you can order a yard. Go ahead and add it to your cart--you’re all set!